Tutorial – How to cover any book!
1/2 yard home decorator weight fabric
fat quarter of fusible fleece (enough for most books)
needle appropriate for fabric (I used a jean needle)
snap or velcro (optional)
1. Trace around book marking where the spine lays. I trace one cover, stand on spine and trace, and flip over to trace back cover. The book I am covering is our song book for church.
2. Add 1/2” seam allowance.
3. Cut out pattern.
4. Cut two of pattern out of home decorator weight fabric. Cut one of fusible fleece.
5. Fuse fleece to one fabric piece according to manufacturers directions. Set aside.
6. Trace a line 1” away from the spine markings on pattern. Fold on this line. Now you have a pattern piece for the flaps.
7. Cut two flaps.
8. Finish raw edge of flap (non-curved edge in this example). I used pinking sheers but you can also serge or zigzag.
9. Fold over 1/2” on finished edge and stitch.
10. Baste flaps to remaining piece with a 1/4” seam allowance.
11. Pin outer (piece with fleece) to inner (with flaps) right sides together. Stitch with a 3/8” seam allowance, leaving an opening between the two flaps to turn right side out. The difference between the seam allowance you added (1/2”) and the allowance you stitch (3/8”) allows for some room to get insert the book.
If you are adding ribbons for book markers, or a flap to snap or velcro, insert between the two layers now.
12. Trim seams and clip corners.
13. Turn, push out corners, and iron seam allowance of opening.
14. Stitch opening shut.