Hello all! Today is our second guest poster for colourblock week: Amy from Friends Stitched Together.
If you’ve done colourblocking before for a boy, or are following the tutorial to do it this week, please add your project to the linky party here for a chance to win a great fabric prize from Duncan and Kate.
There is also a raffle to enter here, to win a copy of our sponsor’s pattern: the Wingman Shirt by Patterns for Pirates.
Hi everyone! I’m Amy and I blog over at FriendsStitchedTogether with my bestie, Tasha! We just started a super-fun series called CraftingCon and Jess will be posting for us in September, so be sure to check it out!
I’m a boy mom, so I was thrilled when I heard about Jess’s Embellish is for Boys. I’m even more thrilled that I get to guest post! For my post on colorblocking, I decided to challenge myself a little by mixing knits with wovens into a couple tees. I started with two tee shirts and five button up shirts (all thrifted) and my copy of the Anytime At All Tee.
For this first one, I drew out both sides of the front bodice and then slashed it into three (adding seam allowance as I went). I split the side panels again, this time into five equal parts. These are a mix and match of the five button-ups. After sewing these together and then to the middle panel, I was able to finish like normal. I overcompensated a little on the neck band and made it too large. Because the side panels make up relatively little of the neck, I could have gotten away with using the normal length of ribbing.
For the next one, I left the front alone, except to add a giant pocket using an existing button, and had fun with the back!
I took my inspiration from the shirts I was using and cut the back into two pieces. The yoke is the same knit as the front. I added about an inch to the bottom section’s width and curved the bottom into a shirttail.
One box pleat later and it’s a cute tee! I made sure to cut the yoke below the armscye, so I didn’t have to worry about the wovens affecting the stretch.
I was having so much fun – and I had a ton of the woven left over! – so I drafted a raglan shirt. I used the existing buttons of the checkered shirt, which made it much faster than a woven shirt usually takes! I made a club (round instead of pointed) collar and even made a collar stand out of the orange! The raglan sleeves are from the solid blue shirt.
The back is my favorite! I used the orange for an overlaid yoke and as the cuff for the sleeves. I could have used one more button in the front to make the collar higher, but I still love it! I have been enjoying seeing all these embellishment ideas for boys and have been inspired by more than one! Thanks so much for letting me play along, Jess!
Thanks for stopping by! Tomorrow we welcome our last guest poster of the week: Chelsea from G.Y.C.T.