Also, don’t forget to enter your sewing – anything done for a boy in the past year – for a chance to win 3 yards of Birch Organics from the Fabric Worm and a copy of the Flashback Skinny Tee from Made by Rae! Linky party follows this post.
Zippers are a great way to embellish a boy’s tee. I like using a welt zipper insertion, because it doesn’t require a seam. This means you can put a zipper absolutely anywhere!
Today I am going to show you how easy it is and apply a zipper in the sleeve of the Greenstyle Lacy Slope Hoodie.
1. Interface the area you will be applying the zipper into. I used a lightweight knit interfacing.
2. Cut 2 identical rectangles that are larger than your zipper. The size is really up to you.
3. Pin one rectangle to your garment piece, right sides together. Draw a rectangle that is 1/2″ wide and slightly shorter than your zipper.Sew along the rectangle you drew, through both the garment and the rectangle you pinned on.
4. This is the scary part! Cut down the center of your drawn rectangle through both layers. Stop 1/2″ from the ends and snip towards the corners. The closer you snip to the stitching line, the neater your welt will be, but be careful not to snip your stitching line!
5. Pull the rectangle through the hole you just cut to the back. Iron it flat, creating an open window in your fabric.
6. Place the zipper behind the window. Use pins, hand basting, or wonder tape to hold it in place.
7. Stitch the zipper in place along the edge of the window using a zipper foot.
8. Finally, take the second fabric rectangle and pin it to the first, matching all 4 edges. Stitch the two rectangles together along all 4 sides being careful not to stitch the garment.
9. And you are done!
Since it is our last week..big sob…I am opening the linky party to ANY and ALL sewing done for a boy. It can be anything you’ve ever done for a boy or a man in your life! Remember, one lucky winner will receive 3 yards of Birch Organics from The Fabric Worm and a copy of the Flashback Skinny Tee by Made by Rae. Maximum 3 entries per person please. Can’t wait to see what you share!