It feels unreal to have made it this fun in Project Run and Play. However, just in case my confidence was getting too high, this week sure tested my skills and my endurance! For this week’s costume challenge, I wanted to sew for my 2 kids that you haven’t seen yet. You may have noticed she doesn’t model as often as my oldest daughter does…more about that later. First mistake: letting my daughter choose the costume. First she wanted a ‘unicorn with sparkly wings that fly’. After that was vetoed, she decided on a ‘cob of corn just picked from the garden’. Ah, ok. Finally she suggested a ‘girl who has a newborn baby calf’, and idea that evolved in the Little Bo Peep and her sheep.
Bo Peep’s dress is based off the Precious Dress by Scientific Seamstress. I changed the button placket to an invisible zipper, omitted the collar, and changed the neckline and colour blocked the front panel. The baby blue lace in the center panel is underlined with white satin and trimmed with soutache braid. I inserted piping into all the seams that I created myself from the pink satin. There is also lace inserted in between the bodice sections. The bodice is completely lined with a cotton batiste and the sleeves are underlined with white satin for maximum puffiness that would make even Anne happy.
The skirt is sewn from 7 separate layers. On top is a gathered layer of pink chiffon that is finished off with a baby hem. Underneath that is a circle peplum sewn out of the pink satin. The primary skirt is sewn out of white bridal satin. I looked everywhere for pink polka dot satin, but it doesn’t seem to exist. I experimented with quite a few techniques: painting dots on, and glueing fabric circles on, but finally decided on appliqueing satin circles on so that the colour perfectly matched the bodice. I hand cut all the circles and then used a lighter to heat seal the edges so that they would fray. I stitched around the edges with a straight stitch, using a dissolvable stabilizer underneath for support. The bottom of the skirt is trimmed with the same lace as the bodice.
Underneath the skirts is a crinoline sewn from 3 very gathered layers of tulle. I lined the crinoline with cotton batiste so that nothing scratchy touches my daughter’s skin. Of course we had to include Bo Peep’s iconic bonnet. I drafted it myself and it is sewn from the pink satin. The bonnet is fully lined and I inserted elastic in the back so that it stays comfortably on her head. Finally, I painted an old wooden cane I found at a thrift store to complete her look.
The dress was the biggest challenge I’ve taken on this competition so far. I have almost no experience sewing with special occasion fabrics and the pink microfiber satin was very difficult. It frayed so bad that the first bodice I sewed had to be thrown out because the seams had frayed beyond the seam allowance while I was working with it. The second time around I finished off all the raw edges before beginning construction.
And photography my beloved 7 year old…let’s just say she had me practice patience. This is what about 90% of the photographs looked like!
Because sewing satin wasn’t enough of a challenge, I also worked with faux fur for the sheep costume!
The pattern I used is a snowsuit pattern from Ottobre. I modified the pattern to have attached feet, fold over hands, changed the shape of the hood, and added a front opening rather than 2 side zippers. The ears are borrowed from my own Sheep Purse pattern. I appliqued satin on the chest and the feet and used the same satin inside the ears. I had difficulty deciding on a closure, the fur would get stuck in zippers or velcro, so I hand sewed snap tape onto the front opening and it works very well! The costume is fully lined with a interlock knit (chevron patterned from my stash; my fabric budget was blown on all the satin!). My son refused to let me fold over the flaps that cover the hands, but they are there! I finished off the costume with a bell tied on with a blue satin ribbon.
He wasn’t any easier to photograph, and managed to scrape up his nose by doing a face plant on the sidewalk a few days earlier. Poor guy!
So there you have it…a honest look at what Project Run and Play is like. Sometimes things go well, and sometimes they don’t, but in the end I have to be happy with what I created. I made something unique that my kids will happily wear for hours of dress up and imaginary play. We had so much fun making memories and walking around our farm yard and finding new places to take pictures. I learned new fabric handling skills and challenged myself in what I thought I could do. And that makes everything worth it!
I would love it if you could take a moment to head on over to Project Run and Play and place your vote. It would mean the world to me to make it to the final week and be able to show off my signature look to you all!