As anyone who has visited my sewing room can attest to, I have way too much fabric. My goal for the next 6 weeks is to use my stash as much as possible and only buy when absolutely necessary. Of course, necessary can be defined different ways, but I’m trying to stick to my original intent.
So yesterday, when my daughter came home with an invitation to a “Princess Party” that required dress up, I knew that I wanted to try make her something, while at the same time trying to use the fabric I had on hand.
I came up with this Snow White costume. The navy interlock is from an old men’s tshirt and the sleeves are from a scrap of jersey knit with stripes made out of red bias tape. I used white ruffle elastic for the trim. I did buy the yellow skirt fabric, but managed to find a bolt of poly-rayon crepe on the clearance rack that worked well.
For a pattern, I used a tried and true tshirt pattern: Ottobre 3/2012 Hoops. It is a cute puff sleeve shirt with a round neckline.
To take it from a tshirt pattern to a Snow White dress, I added stripes to the sleeves, shorted the shirt, and added a gathered skirt. I also sewed a satin ribbon down the centre front. It hung a bit like a sack, so I added a sewn on sash from the skirt fabric that ties in the back.
My daughter is thrilled and can’t wait to show all her friends at the party this weekend!