I wish I can say that I haven’t blogged lately because I’ve been too busy behind my sewing machine… sadly teaching part time and my 4 wonderful kids have really cut into my sewing and designing time recently. However, I did make some time to sew myself a spring jacket. Spring has come early to northern Alberta and most of our snow is already gone. The warmer temperatures mean I can put away my bulky parka and wear something lighter and more flattering!
I chose Ottobre 2/2015#20 for the pattern. It is supposed to be sewn out of ‘techno jersey’, a fabric I am not familiar with, but I took a chance and bought some beautiful softshell fleece from Marshall Fabrics, my local fabric store. Softshell is wonderful to work with. One side is a waterproof and breathable smooth surface, and the back side is soft fleece. The beautiful colour is called ‘petrol’ and is a nice change from my old black coat while still being neutral enough to pair with almost anything.
(haha, see my good looking photographer in the image above 😛 )
This jacket is a simple design with under 10 pattern pieces. I didn’t have any difficulty with the construction, except for the front pockets. The inseam pockets became quite bulky, and if I were to do this project over, I would use a much thinner fabric for the pocket bags. I cut a 44, but did a bunch of shaping in the side seams around the waist after the jacket was completed. I think a size 42 with a full bust adjustment would have been a bit of a better fit, but altogether I’m happy with the way it fits.
The seams are finished off with contrast bias tape. I really like how it gives the coat a finished and professional look. It can be a bit tricky to figure out at first, so I created a step by step tutorial for you here! Clicking on the image above will also take you there. I used a two way separating zipper so I could unzip the bottom part while sitting in the vehicle. The hood also features shock cord and barrel locks. When the coat was nearly complete, I realized the sleeve length was perfect WITHOUT being hemmed, so instead of a hem I did a facing to finish off the sleeves and keep as much length as possible.
I’m very happy with how this project turned out, and hopefully will get more sewing time in soon!